162 Internet Searching
When you do a web search, you often get
a lot of results. Some of the choices will be more likely than others to
be "authoritative" -- from trustworthy sources. You could read every hit
from a search, but you'd waste a lot of time. It's better to decide what
to look at just from the web search results.
Look at what is listed below. With a parthner, talk about which you
would choose to click on to get
more information for an essay on work-family, and why. Which ones are more
likely to be from reputable sources?
- After you make your
choices, click on two or three. Were they what you expected? Why or why
- Choose two of these. Read them quickly for information that
would support or oppose ideas in Viewpoint Three or Viewpoint Four.
Copy and paste a key quote or two into a Word document. Make sure you
also copy and paste the URL (the location, starting with http://) and
today’s date as the date you visited the site. Don't forget to save
Search Results - Google The following are some of the
first search results from www.google.com, searching for "work-family."
- Work & Family Connection Home Page
College Center on Work & Family Roundtable Welcome to...
Description: Everything you've ever wanted to know about work-family from
the nation's only clearinghou...
- www.workfamily.com/ - 23k
- Work Family Life Interactions
- ...Home University of
Minnesota Work-Family-Life Interactions...
research and opinion to work and family issues....
- www.cyfc.umn.edu/work.html -
- CHATELAINE READ: Work: The work-family crunch
- ...The work-family crunch: How are we coping? When Chatelaine
- Description: When Chatelaine Magazine asked working moms how they
balanced the double duties of...
www.chatelaine.com/read/work/crunch.html - 21k
- Work-Family Electronic Network Site
... Newsletter ... Work-Family .....Syllabi ... On-Line...
...Grantee and Grant Listing Work-Family Links...
- Work-Family.com - Home Page
...Vaughan on balancing home and work About the Vaughans Polling
- www.work-family.com/- 6k
Search Results - Infoseek The following are from a search for
"work-family" on infoseek.com.
- 1. Campaign for Working
- Organization supporting Republican presidential
candidate Gary Bauer.
- Relevance: 95% Date: 28 Oct 1999, Size
- 2. Labor Project for Working Families Homepage
easy to read format! Fall 1998 - easy to read format! Subscription
Information Sponsors of the Labor Project for Working Families
Selections from our database of work/family contract language, ...
- Relevance: 92% Date: 19 May 1999, Size 2.9K, violet.berkeley.edu/~iir/workfam/home.html
- 3. Work-Family Connection
- National clearinghouse
of information about work-life issues and practices. Includes picks for
family-friendly companies. Many site features are for subscribers
- Relevance: 90% Date: 31 Aug 1999, Size 20.9K, www.workfamily.com/
Search Results - Expanded Academic Index From the Expanded
Academic Index at the library, subject: work and family. Which would you
choose, and why? For these, you will have to go to the Expanded Academic
Index and search for work and family, then click on the ones you think are
- New dads feel work's pull, even on leave. (young
executives with growing families) Julie Flaherty.
- The New York
Times April 9, 2000 pBU8(N) pBU8(L) col 1 (18 col in)
extended citation and retrieval choices
- For the well
connected, all the world's an office; cell phones, pagers and wireless
e-mail have created a workday that never ends. Katie Hafner.
The New York Times March 30, 2000 pD1(N) pG1(L) col 1 (35 col in)
- View extended citation and retrieval choices
Diary. TRACY WORCESTER.
- New Statesman (1996) Jan 17, 2000 v129
- View text and retrieval choices
Mechanisms Linking Work And Family: Clarifying The Relationship Between
Work And Family Constructs. Jeffrey R. Edwards, Nancy P. Rothbard.
- Academy of Management Review Jan 2000 v25 i1 p178
- View text
and retrieval choices
- Taking his work home. (general
manager of General Motors Cadillac division recounts how he balances work
and family) John F. Smith, Robyn Meredith.
- The New York Times
Dec 8, 1999 pC16(N) pC16(L) col 5 (12 col in)
- View extended
citation and retrieval choices
- STUDENTS EXPECT A
BALANCING ACT. (business students seek work/life balance)(Brief
Article)(Statistical Data Included) Aja Whitaker.
Review Dec 1999 p8
- View text and retrieval choices
- Predictors Of Work-Family Conflict And Satisfaction With
Family, Job, Career, And Life. (Statistical Data Included) Nicholas J.
Beutell, Ursula Wittig-Berman.
- Psychological Reports Dec 1999
v85 i3 p893(11)
- View abstract and retrieval choices
- Women and the Household Economy in the Preindustrial Period: An
Assessment of Women, Work, and Family. Barbara A. Hanawalt.
Journal of Women's History Autumn 1999 v11 i3 p10
- View text and
full content retrieval choices
- Women, Work, and
Family Revisited. E. Patricia Tsurumi.
- Journal of Women's
History Autumn 1999 v11 i3 p22
- View text and full content
Last updated 14 July 2001 by D.Healey, firstname.lastname@example.org