Ethical Uses of Technology:
Deborah Healey, ELI, Oregon State University
1997 TESOL Convention, Orlando Florida, March 12
Resources for Further Reading
For enthusiastic support of technology in education
- McClintock, Robert. 1988. Computing and Education: The
Second Frontier. New York: Teachers College Press.
- McClintock, Robert. 1996.
the Progressive Contract with Posterity: On the Social
Construction of Digital Learning Communities. World Wide Web.
January 21, 1999]
- Perlman, Lewis. 1992. School's Out: Hyperlearning, the New
Technology, and the End of Education. New York: William
- Samuels, Cynthia. 1995.
Question of Ethics: Children and Internet Access. World Wide
January 21, 1999].
- Schrage, Michael. 1997.
for Success. World Wide Web. Available:
[Accessed January 21, 1999].
For a healthy dose of skepticism about technology
- Bowers, Chet. 1988. The Cultural Dimensions of Educational
Computing: Understanding the Non-neutrality of Technology. New
York: Teachers College Press.
- CTheory mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org). This offers a
highly literary perspective on technology and society.
- Ellul, Jacques. 1964. The Technological Society. New
York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Postman, Neil. 1993. Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture
to Technology. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
For critical thinking about technology and learning
- Dede, Christopher. 1988. "The Role of Hypertext in
Transforming Information into Knowledge." In William C. Ryan
(Ed.), Proceedings, NECC '88 (pp. 95-102). Eugene, OR:
- Dowling, Sherwood A. 1987.
Education: Reform or False Panacea? World Wide Web. Available:
http://www.twnic.net/inet96/c1/c1_1.htm [Accessed March 8, 1997].
Includes a good bibliography.
- Salomon, Gavriel. 1994. Interaction of Media, Cognition,
and Learning. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Salomon, Norman. Syndicated column on technology.
- Taylor, Robert. 1980. The Computer in the School: Tutor,
Tool, Tutee. New York: Teachers College Press.
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment. 1988. Power
on! New Tools for Teaching and Learning. Washington, DC: US
Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment. 1993. Adult
Literacy and New Technologies: Tools for a Lifetime.
Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.
- Winograd, Terry, and Fernando Flores. 1987. Understanding
Computers and Cognition. New York: Addison-Wesley.
- and most of the general links on Claire Bradin's page,
Issues in Technology Use,
http://pilot.msu.edu/user/bradincl/ethicstesol97.html [Accessed January
For a mixture of views
- Mailing lists like TESLCA-L (email@example.com) and
- TESOL and other conference presentations
- Journals like CAELL Journal, CALICO Journal,
For more information, contact Deborah Healey
ELI, Oregon State University
301 Snell Hall
Corvallis OR 97331
Updated 5 Dec 1997 by D.Healey