Tools for Teachers and Students
Teacher Goal 2: To integrate pedagogical knowledge and skills with technology to enhance language teaching and learning
- Standard 1: Teachers will identify and evaluate technological resources and environments for suitability to their teaching context.
- Standard 2: Teachers will coherently integrate technology into their pedagogical approaches.
- Standard 3: Teachers will design and manage language learning activities and tasks using technology appropriately to meet curricular goals and objectives.
- Standard 4: Teachers will use relevant research findings to inform the planning of language learning activities and tasks.
Teacher Goal 4: To use technology to improve communication, collaboration, and efficiency
- Standard 1: Teachers will use communication technologies to maintain effective contact and collaboration with peers, students, administration, and other stakeholders.
- Standard 2: Teachers will regularly reflect on the intersection of professional practice and technological developments so that they can make informed decisions regarding the use of technology to support language learning and communication.
- Standard 3: Teachers will apply technology to improve efficiency in class preparation, grading, and maintaining records.
LexTutor: http://www.lextutor.ca - inductive vocabulary and grammar; authentic examples for teachers
VisuWords (visual thesaurus): http://www.visuwords.com - a graphic view of words
- Sharing with Google Docs: http://docs.google.com
Peer editing, simultaneous editing from different locations, embed into Google Sites
- Creating a survey with Google Forms: http://docs.google.com
=> Choose New document => Form
- Creating a website/wiki: http://sites.google.com
Learn more at https://sites.google.com/site/ortesolwiki/
- Comic strip creator at MakeBeliefComics: www.makebeliefscomix.com
Simple to use, but a lot of fun
- Create your own avatar with recorded voice or text to speech at Voki: www.voki.com
Not a great pronunciation model, but fun.
See a sample
Breaking News English: www.breakingnewsenglish.com (Goal 2)
Students: choose a topic of interest and do exercises online
- Readability of online texts: www.twurdy.com (Goal 2, Goal 4)
Students: save time when looking for sources; choose ones you can understand
- TakingITGlobal – student awareness and cultural forums: www.tigweb.org/ (Goal 2)
Students: Work with other students online on interesting and important topics